Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hummus and an Award!!!




Hummus is a middle-eastern dip with chickpeas, olive oil, tahini(sesame seed paste) and few other ingredients. A few weeks after my arrival in US I was dining out for the first time here with one of our friends and family when they ordered Hummus as an appetizer. It was served with Pita bread. Not knowing what Hummus was at that moment they challenged me to figure out the ingredients. I tasted a bit and thought the taste was familiar...I could figure out garlic, lime but what was the thick paste made of...kept thinking..thinking... somewhere at the back of my mind I knew...but what? Suddenly it clicked,"Hey isn't this chickpeas?" Voila! That was how I was introduced to Hummus and I have loved it ever since.

No cooking time is required to make this dip and all you need is a food processor and a can of cooked chickpeas. Hummus is easy to prepare with canned chickpeas because they blend more easily rather than making with freshly cooked drained chickpeas. Lemon juice, garlic and tahini gives added flavour. Tahini can be obtained at grocery stores. To make tahini, sesame seeds are blanched in hot water to remove the outer skin that floats to the top. These are removed and the seeds are ground along with salt and olive oil.


It may be served as an appetizer, dip or used as sandwich spread...its left to your imagination! On days when I feel lazy to cook or don't have enough time I even make it as a dinner entree along with Pita bread. Chickpeas is a good source of proteins and fiber. Sesame seeds too are a good source of protein, vitamin E and is a powerful antioxidant. So when you mix all these together..wow!..you get a whole bunch of nutrients in one simple dish!

Ingredients:
1 13 oz can(400g) chickpeas(channa) drained
1 tbsp olive oil
Juice of 3/4th lemon
1.5 tbsp tahini
1/3 cup plain yoghurt
2 garlic cloves
Salt to taste

Method:
  • Add chickpeas, tahini, yoghurt, salt, garlic, lemon juice to a blender/food processor and blend well until it turns into a smooth paste.
  • Add olive oil and blend well to mix.
  • Serve with Pita bread.
Tina of Kaipunyam.com has passed me this lovely award: Blogging With A Purpose. Thanks a lot Tina :)


Hummus goes to:

15 minutes cooking event hosted by Mahimaa.



Pooja.

Other Middle-Eastern recipes:

Dill RiceKuku SabziPita bread

Other Appetizers:

Squash SoupTomato SoupMinestrone SoupPhotobucketPhotobucket

35 comments:

ARUNA said...

looks gr88888 Pooja!!

Pooja said...

Thanks Aruna :) That was quick!!

FH said...

Lovely looking Hummus, I love it. Great to dip with crisp Pita too. Love the bowl Pooja! :)

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Oooh1 the hummus looks so creamy.It's a very healthy dip.Nice pic Pooja.

VineelaSiva said...

Wow nice recipe Its very simple and easy.My husband love this hummus This week only i will try this recipe.

Pooja said...

Thanks Smitha :)
Thanks Vineela :) You would love it!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

seems like its been ages since I had hummus... looks so creamy and its the best snack with high protein value... Love to dip my tortillas in them...

Pooja said...

Looks creamy and nice pooja..Simple recipe..

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Pooja-I love hummus,but it's usually store bought.That's because everytime I intend to make it,I end up making chole(since I can't buy that here);)
Cool recipe!

Pooja said...

Thanks Ramya..I do love to dip tortillas!
Thanks Pooja, Sweta :)

Priyameena said...

Wonderful Presentation...The bowl is soo cute..

Pooja said...

Thanks Priya :)

Vibaas said...

yummy hummus, pooja. hey, why don't u send to AFAM Olives? Here's the link : http://priyaeasyntastyrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/04/announcing-afam-olives.html

Uma said...

that's a delicious hummus Pooja! Never tried it at home. looks yum.

Pooja said...

Thanks a lot for the link Vibaas :) I have a doubt as in this recipe olive oil is not a main ingredient..Is this okay?

Pooja said...

I have sent it Vibaas..thanks a lot :)

Renuka said...

Thats a great one..i havnt tasted hummus yet..

Saritha said...

Wow pooja great recipe.I love this,but mostly i eat this at hotels,never made at home :)

Parita said...

Nice one pooja...lovely pic :)

Sailaja Damodaran said...

I like this dip...Is Thahini home made?

Tina said...

dear an award is waiting for u.....collect it from kaipunyam.com da...

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Looks nice and yummy. Lovely presentation.

Pooja said...

Thanks Renuka :)
Thanks Varunavi. If you make at home you may change the ratio of ingredients to suit your taste :)
Thanks Parita :)
Thanks Ms.Sailaja. Tahini was store bought.
Thanks a lot Tina for the award :)
Thanks Valarmathi :)

Indian Khana said...

Looks so yum yum Pooja...lovely pic

chef and her kitchen said...

yummy hummus lol..:)
it is also der in my drafts..will post it in a couple of days

Pooja said...

Thanks Prathibha :) Waiting for yours :)

Vrinda said...

Hummus looks great dear..i never tried at home.Picutre kanditte try cheyyan thonnunnu...

Deepa Hari said...

Hummus looks great Pooja...makes a great dip.

Pooja said...

Thanks Vrinda. Easy aanu..try cheythu nokkuu..and do let me know how it turns out :)
Thanks Deepa :)

Kalyani said...

wow!! this can be made at home ... great ... will try this pooja .... thanks .....

Pooja said...

Thanks Kalyani for dropping by..do try it and let me know :)

Unknown said...

lovely dip pooja. very nice pic and presentation. got ur email.thx for sending.

Pooja said...

Thanks Mahimaa :)

Unknown said...

Hey Pooja, great blog you have here...the photography and the recipes rock..When I saw the Hummus...my mouth started watering...thanks for the recipe...you are a star...

Pooja said...

Thanks a lot Supriya for dropping by and for your lovely words :)