Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Chicken Ularthu(Roast)-Kerala style




I have been thinking to post this recipe since few days but conveniently forgot about this until I came across 'The Potluck-Chicken' event hosted by Vicky. And if you have read one of my earlier posts on Kerala chicken curry you will be knowing how crazy I'm about chicken dishes! I'm happy to indulge on it at any time of the day and due to my cravings for chicken I was the obvious target of my friends who loved to tease me on this craziness of mine. So here is another one of my favourites-Kerala style Chicken Roast.


I adopted the recipe from my husband's Kerala Beef Roast recipe which I had posted days ago but changed the quantity of ingredients used to suit the preparation. My husband is crazy about whole fresh spices and try to include them in any dish which doesn't even call for one. Though I use whole spices in some preparations, pairing with him turned me to a spice addict too and since then I have been generous in the usage of whole spices! I love the flavour imparted by freshly roasted and ground spices especially in meat preparations much to the delight of my husband who revels in his achievement of transforming me into a spice addict!

Ingredients:
Chicken- 1.75 lb cut into pieces
Red onions- 1 1/2 thinly sliced(the use of shallots gives an added taste to the dish)
4 slit green chillies(adjust according to your level of spiciness)
Fresh ginger minced- 1.5 tbsp
Fresh garlic-4 cloves minced
Tomatoes- 2 chopped
Freshly ground spices- 0.5 tbsp(see recipe below)
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
Chicken masala- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves
Coconut oil for cooking
Dry roast and grind the following-Makes about 3 tbsp
2 cinnamon sticks each about 2.5" long
3/4 tsp cardamom seeds
6-7 cloves
1 nutmeg broken into pieces
2 tbsp fennel seeds
2 star anise
To marinate the chicken:
Freshly ground spices- 2.5 tbsp(from above)
Ground pepper- 1/2 tsp(or more)
Salt to taste
1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste(I used store bought one for marination only)
Turmeric powder- 3/4 tsp
Chicken masala- 1/2 tsp

Method:
  • Dry roast the spices mentioned above at about medium heat in a pan until it starts to change colour or you get the aroma of the spices.
  • Cool and grind to a powder without adding water. Keep aside.
  • Marinate the chicken with the ingredients mentioned under marinade. Keep the marinated chicken for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
  • Cook the marinated chicken in a pressure cooker. There is no need to add water to pressure cook chicken but in case you are concerned about safety(as I am!) you may add little water. Keep cooked chicken aside.
  • Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
  • Add curry leaves and saute for few seconds until it turns crisp and gives out aroma.
  • Add minced ginger and garlic and saute till raw smell goes.
  • Add chopped onions(or shallots) and green chillies and saute till onions turn brown.
  • Add the remaining 0.5 tbsp freshly ground spices and saute for few seconds more.
  • Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns mushy.
  • Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, chicken masala and salt and saute for few minutes until raw smell of the spices go.
  • Add cooked chicken along with water left after pressure cooking and mix well.
  • Cook on medium-high heat until the dish turns dry. This process may take about 30 minutes depending on the amount of liquid and the heat. Note that during this process you need to stir continuously to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
  • Add 1 tsp coconut oil and mix well.
  • When the dish has become dry and has turned brown remove from heat.
  • Serve hot with Appam/ Rice/ Roti/Chapati/ Naan.

This goes to The Potluck-Chicken event hosted by Vicky of Viki's Kitchen.


Pooja.

Other Non-Vegetarian Dishes:

Mutton StewBeef RoastBeef UlarthuLamb CurryButter ChickenChicken CurryPhotobucket

Roast Chicken on Foodista

36 comments:

Alisa@Foodista said...

I think this looks delicious!i followed you through the foodie blog roll and I love the recipes you have here!Hope you wont mind but I'd love to bring over our Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

Christo Gonzales said...

this looks like it would be good in so many other ways as well - like wrapped up in nan or in a paratha...a kerala taco

Pooja said...

Thanks Alisa..Will do it soon :)
Thanks DB, yes you are right..thats another option! Oops I had forgotten this option!! Will include this too.

Sailaja Damodaran said...

iam sure my son will like this ....he says no to gravy....good

Pooja said...

Thanks Ms.Sailaja :) Yes I guess kids would favour dry dishes than gravy ones!

Vrinda said...

Oh..kanditte kothiyavunee..i can feel the flavor from here...yummy

Pooja said...

Thanks Vrinda :)

Ashwini said...

Love this fry..we also do this at home but slight different way..It taste real good..will try ur recipe soon

Pooja said...

Thanks Ashwini for dropping by..I would love to hear from you the verdict :)

Pooja said...

Delicious chicken curry Pooja..Yummy..

Pooja said...

Thanks Pooja :)

VineelaSiva said...

Wow nice recipe dear.I will try this recipe.

Priya Suresh said...

Wow Pooja, am just drooling over those yummy roast..wat a amazing dish, very new to me!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I want some now!!! God-it's been ages since I ate this dish-my friends mom used to make this whenever I went to their place in Chengannur!!

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

I just had this at a potluck last week. Nice recipe.

Priyameena said...

Wow!!Looks gorgeous..

Pooja said...

Thanks Vineela, Priya, Sweta & Smitha for your lovely words :)
Vineela, do try and let me know your verdict too.
Sweta, now you can satisfy your cravings.. :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Priya :)

Yasmeen said...

Awesome,the fresh spices makes the roast all the more tasty,bet it also makes a perfect wrap with salad:)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I love chickem too... Certainly a different recipe... Looks great!

Pooja said...

Thanks Yasmeen, yes that is a good option too :)
Thanks HCOF :)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I was seriously wishig I could have some after the dinner I am still craving for food now!!!

Lena Jayadev said...

poojaaa..dis s my fav one...it looks awesome...yummyy.. and delicious...send it to me :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Ramya..hehe what if I pass the dish to you?
Thanks Lena, sure, expect an overnight package :)

Chef Jeena said...

I bet this was so aromatic it looks gorgeous and the golden brown colour looks so very appetizing YUM!

Pooja said...

Thanks Jeena :)

Nandinis food said...

Looks amazing ! I love this chicken roast with the aroma of spices:)

Pooja said...

Thanks Usha :)

Kalyani said...

a new recipe to me pooja ..... will try some time .........

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love adding lot's of spices in a dish. This one turns out beautiful. Your house must smell so nice.

Padma said...

Nice chicken roast... one of hubby's fav... ur version is very different and looks too good... will try sometime :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Kalyani :)
Thanks Helene :) Yes the house had aroma of fresh spices!
Thanks Padma :)

Vikis Kitchen said...

Kerala style dry roasted chicken is my all time favorite. Thanks for revealing the secrets and sending it for the event.

Pooja said...

Welcome..And thanks for the great event Vicky :)

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Looks wonderful and fantastic. Mouth watering. Yummyyyyy.... one.

Pooja said...

Thanks Valar :)