Right from my childhood days shrimp used to be my favourite apart from chicken. Those days my mom used to have a hard time making me have seafood curries since I preferred few fishes that time. But shrimp was definitely an exception and on days when there was shrimp curry I was too happy to indulge on it without any help. During my work days at India whenever I went home there was shrimp curry waiting for me! As I grew up I outgrew the distaste I had for other fish varieties and now prefer seafood next to chicken. I do prefer to have shrimp in any way-be it in curries, or fried or grilled-the sight of it makes me drool!
Kerala, the coastal state is famous for its sea food dishes which form an important part of the cuisine. The seafood is so popular in the state that it has become virtually impossible to have a complete meal without it. Here in this post I have described Kerala style shrimp curry using grated coconut, spices and coconut oil. Grated coconut may be replaced with coconut milk too. But I prefer the thick texture imparted to the curry by addition of grated coconut. I adopted the recipe from my mom but changed it to suit my taste. Here I have used tamarind paste instead of gamboge. Again this was a personal choice. You may use Gamboge to get the authentic taste. Also I highly recommend the use of shallots rather than big onions and coconut oil instead of any other oil for perfect recreation of Kerala style shrimp curry. The dish forms a perfect combo with Appam/ steamed rice/ Chapati/ Roti/ Naan.
Raw shrimp- 2 lb with outer shell removed
Shallots(small onions)- 15-20 sliced
Ripe tomatoes- 2 chopped
Fresh ginger minced- 1.5 tsp
Fresh garlic minced - 1 tsp
Chilly powder- 3/4 tsp(adjust according to your taste buds)
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Fenugreek powder - 1/2 tsp
Chicken masala/Garam masala - 1 tsp
Freshly grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Tamarind paste - 3/4 tsp dissloved in water
Salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves
3 green chillies slit
Coconut oil for cooking
For marinating shrimp:
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp chicken masala/garam masala
1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Clean and drain shrimp well and marinate with ingredients mentioned under marinade.
- Keep for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Grind grated coconut to a smooth paste adding enough water. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat 2 tsp coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves and saute till it turns crisp and you get the aroma.
- Add minced ginger, garlic and saute till raw smell goes.
- Add sliced shallots along with green chillies and saute till shallots turn brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns mushy.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, masala, salt and saute till the raw smell of masalas go.
- Add tamarind paste dissolved in water, ground coconut and enough water to cook shrimp.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add marinated shrimp, reduce heat to low and cook with a closed lid until shrimp is cooked well.
- Remove lid increase heat to medium and cook for few minutes more until gravy turns thick.
- Add fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Add freshly torn curry leaves, 1 tsp coconut oil, mix well and remove from heat.
- Serve hot!
Other Seafood Dishes: