If you read this post after reading my Black Forest Cake post you might wonder why I go for cakes with cherries. The reason is I love cherry flavour be it wine or cake and especially the combination of chocolate, cherry wine and fresh cherries. So I decided to make this for our first wedding anniversary. It turned out perfect for the occasion. For frosting the cake I used Mrs Milman's Chocolate Frosting. The procedure for making this cake is similar to the Black Forest Cake recipe. You need to make a sponge cake first then prepare the syrup for moistening the cake and finally the frosting. The steps are outlined below.
3/4 cup cake flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
6 eggs-separate the whites and yolks
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp soda powder
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar(for cake)
1/2 tsp coffee powder
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup granulated sugar(for frosting)
Can of cherries
3 tbsp cherry wine.
1/2 bag walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Separate egg whites and yolks
- Beat egg yolks well. Add half the amount of granulated sugar and vanilla extract and beat again. Continue until the mixture has well combined. This would take about 5 min.
- In another mixing bowl that is completely dry beat the egg whites until it becomes thick and fluffy and stands up when you lift the whisk/beater. Add the remaining amount of sugar and beat well until well combined. This would take about 5-6 min or even longer.
- Now add the egg whites into the yolk mixture and beat well until combined. Keep aside.
- Add cocoa powder, baking powder, soda powder, coffee powder and salt to cake flour. Sift this about 5 times so that all the ingredients gets mixed well.
- Add this to the egg mixture in small portions only beating the mixture each time after adding the flour mixture.
- Add the cake mixture to two buttered 9" baking tray( u can use any shape-square,round or heart shaped) lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 F for about 25 min or until a knife/tooth pick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Depending on the oven the baking time varies. For me it took only 20 min. As the cake tin changes so does the baking time.
- Allow the cakes to cool well before unmoulding.
- Prepare syrup for wetting the cake by combining water and sugar on low-medium heat. When well combined take off from heat and add 3 tbsp wine. Allow this to cool.
- Prepare the frosting as mentioned in the link. Allow it to chill for some time in the refrigerator so that it attains the desired thickness for frosting.
- After both the cakes have cooled well take a cake layer and wet it with the sugar syrup. Spread jam on top and then spread the frosting. Place a few cherries on top of this frosted layer.
- Now place the other cake layer on top of the above and wet it with sugar syrup. Spread raspberry jam on top and then frost the cake on the top and sides.
- Decorate the cake on the sides with chopped walnuts and the top with cherries.
- Keep the frosted cake in the refrigerator for some time before serving.
- Before serving warm each slice in the microwave for about 15 seconds.