Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mushroom Curry




During my daily routine of talking to my parents my mother was telling me about the conversation she had with our family friend and that she made mushroom curry for dinner. This took me back to the days of my work life at Pune when I used to have mushroom curry at a popular vegetarian restaurant. I used to have occasional cravings for this dish and hence ended up being at the restaurant almost every weekend. I usually prefer non vegetarian dishes over vegetarian if given a choice and having cravings for vegetarian dishes was usually rare. But this curry was outstanding that I fell in love with mushroom curry.

After the conversation with my mother I immediately started searching for a recipe when I came across Vaishali's Mushroom Curry. By merely glancing at the recipe I knew that this would turn out perfect as my mom used to prepare mutton curry in a similar way. I decided to give it a shot. I made slight adjustments to the recipe and marinated the potatoes with turmeric powder, chilly powder, pepper and salt and later fried them. I do not go for deep fry as it soaks up lots of oil but instead roasted the potatoes at high heat and then cooked them in a microwave before adding to the curry. Since I had a left over green bell pepper I added that too. Also before turning off heat I added 1 tbsp each of ketchup and soya sauce. This dish was an instant hit and we enjoyed with butter naan.

Pooja.

Other Vegetarian Dishes:

Palak PaneerPotato StewChole Paneer MasalaLobia Mushroom CurryKerala Kadala CurryIshtuPaneer Tikka RollsPaneer Mushroom Masala

2 comments:

Vaishali said...

I like the changes you made, Pooja, particularly the addition of green bell peppers. So glad the recipe worked for you.

Pooja said...

Thanks Vaishali :)