Pineapple 'Pachadi' is one of the side dishes with rice in a traditional Kerala meal and is a 'must have' dish in a Kerala sadya(feast). The sadya is served during Onam-the state festival, on occasions like marriage, birthday etc.This is a grand vegetarian meal with rice with innumerable side dishes, curries and desserts(payasams).
The sweet form of Kichadi is called Pachadi. Kichadi is one of the traditional side dishes made with any fruit/vegetable in a ground coconut mixture and curd. This can be prepared with mangoes/ cucumbers/beetroots/pineapple along with curd/yoghurt and the name changes accordingly. In this preparation pineapple is deskinned and cut into small pieces and cooked with few spices, then with ground coconut mixture. Later curd/yoghurt is added. Finally seasonings like mustard seeds,curry leaves and dry red chilies are added but in this preparation I have made without those. You may add it if you wish.
Pineapple cut into small thin strips-1 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Sugar- 2 tsp
Grated coconut- 1/3 cup
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Green chillies- 2(adjust according your level of tolerance)
Salt to taste
Fresh ginger- small piece(3/4" long approx) chopped
Thick curd/Yoghurt- 1 cup
- Cook pineapple strips in a small pan along with turmeric powder, sugar and salt. Water isn't required but if it starts to stick to the pan you may add about 1 tsp of water.
- Meanwhile grind grated coconut along with green chillies, mustard seeds and ginger adding water till it becomes a smooth paste.
- When the pineapple pieces are cooked add the ground mixture and cook for few minutes until the raw smell goes.
- Beat curd/yoghurt well until it turns smooth and add it to the above, mix well and remove from heat. Do not allow it to cook after adding curd.
- You may season mustard seeds(1/2 tsp), curry leaves(1 sprig), 2 broken dry red chillies in 1 tsp coconut oil and add it.
- Enjoy with warm rice.
Other Sadya Recipes: