'Sambharam' or Spiced Buttermilk is a favourite beverage of Keralites and even served to guests in the state. Though desserts mark the end of a Kerala sadya(feast) sambharam is served towards the end. Always served cold this aids in digestion too, especially after having a heavy sadya! Made of curd/yoghurt blended with water along with other spices, this serves as a thirst quencher especially during hot summers. It feels refreshing to have a cup of cold sambharam on returning after a long exposure to the scorching heat of the sun, after a long workout or after a long day at work.As for me I have this often be it summer or winter!
1 cup curd/yoghurt
2-3 cups water
2 small onions(shallots) chopped
One small piece of ginger
2 split green chillies
Salt to taste
1 sprig curry leaves
- Add enough water, salt to curd and blend well.
- Peel ginger and chop into small pieces.
- Crush shallots, ginger and green chillies together.
- Add this to the blended curd and blend again once to mix well.
- Add torn curry leaves.
- Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Other Sadya Recipes: