Soup serves as a perfect appetizer and can be had at any time of the day. During cold winters it feels refreshing to have a bowl of hot and spicy soup. Though many believe that intake of soup increases the appetite and leads to more consumption of entrée , recent researchers have proved otherwise-the choice of appetizer determines the overall appetite.
Soup may be served as an appetizer or even as a main course depending on the type. For me soup serves as a perfect entree for dinner along with bread rolls/toasted crunchy or seasoned bread especially on weekends after having a heavy lunch. Right from my childhood days tomato soup has been one of my favourites. Having decided to make tomato soup, I searched for tomatoes in the refrigerator when my eye fell on few left over mushrooms.I decided to make a Tomato-Mushroom soup instead. Easy to prepare with minimum effort this is my last resort when I feel lazy to cook up something, at the same time,don't feel like dining out too!
3 ripe big tomatoes chopped
Mushrooms- 5 oz(approx 140g)
1/2 white onion chopped into small pieces
2 celery stalks chopped
6-7 basil leaves chopped
Green onions(Spring onions)- 4 chopped
3/4 tsp garlic salt
2 cups chicken broth(you may use vegetable broth too)
1/2 cup milk
Italian seasoning- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
2 tbsp butter
Croutons/Toasted crunchy bread
- In a large saucepan add chopped tomatoes, white onion, celery and basil.
- Add chicken broth, garlic salt, ground pepper and enough salt.
- Heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook with a closed lid for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool and blend well. You may strain the mixture after blending if you wish.Keep aside.
- In the same saucepan used for cooking heat 1 tbsp butter.
- Add chopped mushrooms and saute until cooked.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and add the blended mixture along with milk.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low-medium and continue cooking.
- Add Italian seasoning, half of chopped green onions and mix well.
- Cook until the soup has turned thick or has reached the consistency you wish to have.
- Remove from heat, garnish with the remaining chopped green onions and Italian seasoning.
- Serve hot with croutons/Toasted crunchy bread.
This goes to CKF-Tomato hosted by Rinku of Cooking in Westchester and started by Sharmi of Neivedyam.