Caramelized ghee roasted plantains...doesn't this sound heavenly? For me this sure does. Because this has been one of my favourite snacks right from my childhood days. My mom used to treat me with this often during my school days and how I loved munching into those syrupy roasted ripe plantains with golden thick caramelized topping!
Raw and ripe Plantains(Ethakkai)
This is quite an easy and delicious snack and can be prepared by anyone in a short period of time. Especially this is useful during those times when we have unexpected guests and run short of enough items/time to cook up any snack. A different type of plantain is used in this preparation. In our language we call it Nenthra pazham or Ethakkai. Well for the moment lets call it Plantain in simple terms. Its the type of plantain which is used for cooking when its raw and ripe. To make things more clear I have included the picture of how the plantain looks when its raw and ripe.
Ghee is used for roasting the plantains. It imparts a special flavour to the roasted bananas.You may also use honey as a sweetener. But I prefer doing the traditional way.
Ripe Plantains(Nenthra pazham/Ethakkai)
Granulated sugar for sprinkling
Ghee for roasting
- Cut each plantain into halves and cut each piece into thin slices.
- Heat a pan over low-medium heat and grease it with sufficient ghee.
- Sprinkle sugar on one side of the slice and keep it face down on the pan.Roast till that side turns golden brown.You may roast many slices at a time depending on the width of your pan.
- Now sprinkle sugar on the top of the slices and flip it over.
- Roast till this side turns golden brown.
- Serve hot with tea/coffee.
- Enjoy the caramelized flavour!
Ann of Happy and Healthy Cooking has passed me Lovely Blog award. Thanks a lot Ann for passing me this beautiful award. It means a lot to me :)
According to the rules of the award I need to pass it on to 10 bloggers. A very tough decision indeed. I love all the blogs I follow. But yet this time I have nominated the following bloggers for this award. More nominations to follow in the upcoming months!
Ammu of Nature Kitchen
Kalyani of Kalyani's Kitchen
Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen
Parita of Parita's World
Pooja of Sai Kitchen
Priya of Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes
Priyameena of Cooking-Madurai Style
Shabs of Shabs Cuisine
Uma of Essence of Andhra
Vineela of Vineela Siva