On a warm sunny afternoon, cozily curled up in a sofa my eyes fell on few bananas sitting on my kitchen table threatening me to go bad if I don't use it immediately. Having already had enough of those the previous day I thought,"Oh no! No more bananas" and gave a pitiful look at the ripe yellow fruit. It challenged me enough that I decided to prepare something with it so that I could save it from ending up in the trash bin.
I had bought a packet of fresh blueberries during my grocery trip few days ago which were screaming to be used. Having already made up my mind to make something & searching through my pantry I saw a packet of whole wheat flour staring back at me! It lit a flash bulb in my mind and I thought,"Why don't I make muffins out of these? It would be perfect for breakfast too!"
Fresh from the oven!
Having decided to make muffins I arranged all the ingredients on my kitchen table and opened one of the cabinets for muffin tray. The muffin tray was not there! Oh where could I have misplaced it? Kept searching in all the places I could remember but the tray seemed to have completely vanished! Not wanting to let myself down and already having day dreamt of those spongy blueberry banana muffins I decided to turn it into bars by baking in a cake tray! Meanwhile the mystery of the missing tray still continues.....
Well so here are two recipes in one! You may turn them into muffins or bars following the same recipe. Tastes great either way! And if you would like to know my verdict, these were the most softest bars I ever made! The flavour of honey combined with bananas and blueberries turned it into super moist, light bars. Just have a bite and you would love the explosion of packed blueberries in honey syrup.So have I tempted you enough? Hope so..hehe! Lets all enjoy blueberry banana bars!
Whole wheat flour - 1.5 cups
Fresh blueberries - 1 1/4 cup
Ripe bananas - 3
Chopped almonds and cashews - 1 cup
Egg - 1
Granulated sugar - 2/3 cup
Honey - 1/4 cup
Powdered cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
Powdered nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
Melted butter - 1/3 cup
Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
Baking soda - 3/4 tsp
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F(190 deg C).
- Grease a 8" square non stick baking tray.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sift at least thrice. Keep aside.
- Blend bananas well.
- Mix sugar, honey, melted butter, blended bananas and egg and beat with a mixer until well blended. Do not over beat.
- Slowly add the sifted ingredients kept aside earlier and mix well.
- Mix chopped nuts and blueberries well and add it to the batter. Mix well with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Unmould after cooling.
- Cut into rectangular bars.
- Enjoy the taste of blueberry-banana-nuts in every bite!
This goes to:
Original Recipes event hosted by Lore.
Along with this I'm also sending Fruit Salad with Custard to SHF-Fruit & Nut event.
I'm also sending the following breakfast items to EFM-June Breakfast Series event: