Sunday, June 21, 2009

Persimmon Nut Bread-Low Fat Vegan!




When I saw Madhuram's Low Fat Egg less Baking event I loved the theme behind it so much that it tempted me to make something that would fit the theme well. I love foods low in fat that would allow anyone to indulge on it guilt free, and which wouldn't ask for that extra hour of work-out to burn off the extra calories. And egg less baked items! Wow what more could I ask for?


Trying to be health conscious most of the time I always prefer whole foods instead of processed ones and try to include whole grains in our daily diet. Hence whole wheat flour has found a permanent place in my pantry.Starting off the day with a perfect low fat breakfast item was on my mind as I read the theme and of course with whole wheat flour. Though I had few recipes in hand it required eggs and as I was browsing the net I came across Susan's Persimmon Bread. Susan has an amazing collection of low fat vegan recipes and glancing through each made me realize that I have reached the perfect destination and put an end to further searches!


I had few left over persimmons that had been patiently sitting on my kitchen counter for a long time waiting eagerly for its turn and this was the perfect time to try out the bread. As Susan said in her post there are two kinds of Persimmons-Hachiya & Fuyu. Fuyu is the one that can be had even when its not fully ripe and is still sweet. Hachiya has an astringent flavour when not fully ripe due to the high level of tannin. But ripe ones are always sweet and here in this recipe I have used Fuyu. Persimmons have a high nutritional value and is a good source of beta carotene, Vitamin C and potassium.


I made some changes to Susan's recipe and added banana along with persimmons.I love the flavour imparted by honey to any dish and used it in addition to sugar. Since I love nuts a lot I have added almonds and cashews.The bread turned out moist and soft and was like a dense cake. And as Susan said in her post, this bread becomes softer and more delicious when kept for few days.With low fat and eggless this bread is rich in proteins, minerals, vitamins, beta carotene and dietary fiber. What more do you need for a healthy breakfast?

Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
Ripe and sweet Persimmons - 2
Ripe banana - 1
Chopped almonds & cashews- 1/2 cup
Sliced Dates - 1/2 cup
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Powdered nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
Powdered cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
Powdered cloves - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Honey - 1/4 cup
Granulated sugar - 1/4 cup
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Baking soda - 3/4 tsp

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350 F(180 C).
  • Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, salt well. Sieve at least thrice. Keep aside.
  • Blend persimmons and banana together.
  • Transfer the blended ingredients to a mixing bowl and add honey, sugar and oil. Mix well until well blended.
  • Add the flour mixture and mix well. Do not overmix at this stage.
  • Add chopped almonds, cashews, dates and incorporate it well into the batter.
  • Transfer the batter to a well greased loaf tin and bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  • Allow it to cool before unmoulding.
  • Cut into slices and serve with hot coffee!
This goes to Low Fat Eggless Baking event hosted by Madhuram.


Pooja.

Other Bread Recipes:

Pita breadDinner RollsPhotobucket

Other Breakfast Dishes:
Kerala Kadala CurryPotato StewFrench ToastCheese OmelettePuttuAppamIdiappam

60 comments:

Pooja said...

hey pooja this looks very healthy ! wud love to bake stuff without eggs ! hey frankly dint know what persimmon fruit was.. just googled and found out.. thanks ! the bread looks perfect.. i want a slice !

Christo Gonzales said...

you always have such good ideas and recipes - this bread looks great!

Jenn said...

I haven't really had persimmons before. This is very interesting to me. I'm sure it tastes great with the banana in a bread. Since I do love banana bread, too.

Unknown said...

Beautiful bread with persimmon. Love the idea of using whole wheat and not too much refined sugar either. Perfect healthy yummy one.

Pooja said...

Thanks Pooja :) One of my friends introduced me to Persimmon and I have loved it ever since. Before that I never gave a thought about buying it!

Pooja said...

Thanks DB :) But frankly I'm no where near you! You have awesome ideas!

Pooja said...

Thanks Jenn :) Yes it does. You need to use ripe Persimmons for getting the full flavour of the fruit!

Renus Kitchen said...

perfect entry for the event....slowly and slowly I am bending towards eggless and low fat baking tooo...its always healthy! BTW nice pictures

Bergamot said...

Looks perfectly baked :-)

chef and her kitchen said...

That looks perfectly baked dear...Nice entry for the event..I love those persimmons..

Gita Jaishankar said...

Gorgeous cake Pooja...I ahve never used persimmons before...your cake is tempting me to buy some of them :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "My Experience With Cooking" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

http://www.foodnrecipes.info

Pooja said...

Thanks Sadhana/Muskaan :) Needed to make something healthy for breakfast :D

Pooja said...

Thanks Renu :) Me too! And now started searching extensively..hehe!

Pooja said...

Thanks Bergamot :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Prathibha :) I too love Persimmons! The ripe ones just melts in your mouth :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Gita :) Since this is a quick bread the texture was like a dense cake but soft and moist.

Pooja said...

Thanks Ms.Sailaja :)

Pooja said...

Thanks a lot Marshall :)

Hari Chandana P said...

Beautiful bread.. Lovely presentation.. :)

Parita said...

persimmons, bananas, almonds, cashews and spices wow..what more can i ask for? lovely bread dear, looks perfect!

Priya Suresh said...

Wow Pooja, outstanding bread!!!looks really fabulous dear!

Hb said...

Hi Pooja, feels good to have come across your blog. I love whole grain breads. They are nutritious and yummy!Oh ya,your blog title is so much like mine :D

Vrinda said...

Its indeed a healthy bread ,looks perfect Pooja..

Padma said...

Lovely bread Pooja... have bookmarked to try sometime ...

Pooja said...

Thanks Hari Chandana :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Parita :) Its the combo of my favourite ingredients :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Priya :)

Pooja said...

Thanks My Experients With Cooking for dropping by :) Nice to see that you have a similar title too :)

Chitra said...

looks yummy yumm!!

Premyscakes said...

thats a great recipe!!! would love to try it out.

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

Its just perfect.I usually bake cakes during weekends.But looks like can't wait till weekend to make this one!!!

Anonymous said...

What a neat bread with persimmon! I've always just eaten persimmon raw, but I will have to try it, sounds delish!

Ashwini said...

that bread looks yummy...

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I've seen persimmons in the grocery store before-but never knew what to do with them! Now I know-thanks to YOU!! Lovely :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Prema :) And do let me know ur verdict too :D

Pooja said...

Thanks Aysha :) Me too!Do not know why but weekends make me energetic to try out something :D

Pooja said...

Thanks Natasha :) I too love to have it raw. Esp the ripe ones!

Pooja said...

Thanks Sweta :) You may make milkshakes out of those too. My hubby made it once and it tasted like a mango shake!

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Good try pooja. The bread looks yummy. I like the orange color the persimmons have given the bread.

Pooja said...

Thanks Smitha :)

Kalaivani said...

Sounds so healthy and delicious.Nice pictures.

Madhuram said...

That's one delicious and healthy bread Pooja. It has the goodness of various fruits, whole wheat flour and nuts going in. Thank you very much for sending this bread for the event. This would also suit Mansi's Fruit and Nuts event.

Preeti Singh said...

hey Pooja it looks healthy and nice....nice pics too...nice concept of using whole wheat flour.... hearing of persimmon for the first time...

Pooja said...

Thanks Kalai :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Madhuram :) I had already sent 2 dishes for Mansi's event. But thanks for the mention :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Preeti :) Persimmon is an orange coloured fruit that is very sweet when ripe. You would love it!

iRaw said...

You made a lovely bread - sounds delicious. I love persimmons!

Pooja said...

Thanks iRaw for dropping by :)

Doloncookbook said...

Wow ... Lovely & perfect recipe , as well as for vegeterians . One of my friend is vegeterian , I will pass this recipe to her . Shje will love it for sure .....

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Persimmon is our fav fruit.. bread with that is looking so good and wish to try this soon.. thanks for this wonderful recipe pooja..Perfectly baked ... hats off

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow what a bread......looks soft and yum....

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Bread looks perfect and great. Looks delicious.

Indian Khana said...

Perfect looking bread....crust looks so gud...nice Pooja

Pooja said...

Thanks Dolon :)

Pooja said...

Thanks Pavithra :) Persimmon is my favourite too-the main reason I set out for making this bread :D

Pooja said...

Thanks Lubna :) It turned out like a dense moist cake that turns more soft and tasty when kept for few days!

Pooja said...

Thanks Valar :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Looks very nice .... soft

Pooja said...

Thanks Vanamala :)