At my home egg roast was served for breakfast with Appam/Dosa/Idiappam. For those who arent familiar with the above, Appam, Idiappam & Dosa(originated from Karnataka) are the traditional breakfast dishes of Kerala cuisine. Another one is Puttu which is also made from rice flour. Appam is a fermented pancake made with rice flour and coconut .Idiappam also known as steamed rice noodles is also from rice flour, the dough is passed through an Idiappam mould and later steamed for few minutes. Dosa is a South Indian delicacy where the batter is made with rice and urad dal(black lentils) which are soaked for a few hours before blending and then left to ferment. The batter is then ladled onto a greased pan and spread out into thin pancakes. Puttu is made from rice flour where the flour is moistened with water and then later steamed in a special mould along with grated coconut.
Egg roast is a dry dish that goes well with Appam, Idiappam and Dosa and can be made in many ways. Since I like experimenting I added a few ingredients which gave a twist to the traditional egg roast prepared by my mom. This dish goes well with Chapatis too though I prefer having it with the above mentioned ones.
5 boiled eggs
2 red onions finely chopped
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp chilly powder(adjust according to your tastebuds)
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 heaped tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
1/3 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp ketchup
Coconut oil for cooking
- Cut each boiled egg in half. While cutting the egg to prevent the yolf from breaking dip the knife in cold water each time before cutting an egg. Keep aside.
- Grind the grated coconut to a smooth paste by adding water. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat about 1 tbsp coconut oil(or less) at medium heat and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute till it becomes brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a while before adding tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- Reduce heat and add chilly powder, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Stir till the raw smell of the masalas go.
- Now add the ground coconut and saute for few minutes before adding ketchup and soy sauce. Stir well for some time.
- Add the egg pieces one by one and coat each egg well with the gravy as shown in the picture. Reduce heat and cover with a closed lid and cook for a few minutes until the eggs are thoroughly coated with the gravy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves(cilantro) before removing from heat.
Other Egg Dishes: