Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Egg Bhurji-Spicy Egg Scramble




The term Bhurji is given to a dry dish in which the ingredients are cut into very small pieces that they have a minced appearance, then later cooked with spices and stir fried. Not being an egg lover my mom had tried innumerable ways to make me have eggs. When I was small she used to give me half boiled eggs seasoned with salt and pepper daily. I used to gulp it down and rinse my mouth as I couldn't stand the smell of half cooked eggs. Other attempts were made using
appams. She used to make
Appams with sunny side up! This too had the same result with me running to rinse my mouth. As I grew up so did my aversion to half cooked eggs. But I loved omelettes and scrambled eggs(fully cooked!) and after my mom's failed attempts to make me have half cooked eggs after I grew up she used to pack egg bhurji(spicy scrambled eggs)or omelettes for lunch along with rice/chapati and curry. And I loved egg bhurji! Though not a rice lover either, having egg bhurji with rice and curry, makes me have rice double my usual amount.

In this preparation eggs are beaten well with milk before cooking. The addition of milk to eggs before scrambling enables the eggs to become fluffy after scrambling process. The beaten eggs are then added to a spicy onion-tomato mixture, mixed well and stir fried until the eggs are fully cooked. The use of shallots(small onions) and coconut oil imparts a special flavour to the dish. But if you don't have enough time to peel shallots you may make with big onion too. This dish can be had as a side dish with rice or Indian breads like Chapati/Roti/Naan. You may even garnish the dish with coriander leaves(cilantro).

Ingredients:
5 eggs
10 shallots(small onions) sliced thin
1 big tomato/2 small tomatoes finely chopped
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp garlic paste
Turmeric Powder- 3/4 tsp
Ground pepper - 1/2 tsp(or more, according to your taste buds)
Chicken masala or Garam masala- 3/4 tsp(or less, depending on your choice of spiciness)
Milk- 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut oil for cooking
Cilantro(Coriander leaves) for garnish

Method:
  • Beat eggs with milk well until they turn frothy. Keep aside.
  • In a pan heat about 1 tsp coconut oil and saute small onions and green chillies until onions turn medium brown.
  • Add garlic paste and saute until onions turn brown.
  • Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns mushy.
  • Add turmeric powder, ground pepper, chicken masala(or garam masala) and salt, mix well and saute till raw smell goes.
  • Add the beaten eggs, mix well and saute until the eggs are cooked. Note that you need to stir continuously after the addition of eggs. Cooking has to be continued until the egg mixture is no longer mushy/soggy or until the scrambled egg pieces are separated and fluffy.
  • Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves(optional).

Pooja.

Other egg dishes:

Egg RoastKuku SabziCheese Omelette

29 comments:

Vikis Kitchen said...

First time here. U have a wonderful blog dear. Egg burjii and the write up are lovely. Nice job.

Vishali said...

Hey first time here. U have got a lovely blog. Thanks for commenting on my one. Love the spicy version of Egg burjee. Hope to see u around.

Pooja said...

Thanks Vishali and welcome :)

Malar Gandhi said...

Ande Bhurji looks perfect for me...let me grab my fork, he he.

I even liked ur mutton stew...miss mutton so much here!:(

Pooja said...

Thanks Malar :) Sure you may have it :)
I can imagine how much you miss Mutton..I was too until recently :)

Indian Khana said...

Looks yum...I do same way sometime minus the coconut....I shall try next time...

Pooja said...

Thanks Priti :)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Pooja, I never knew bhurji means ingredients cut into small pieces, thanks for the info... The scrambled eggs looks inspiring... Nice color and as you said they have comeout into small pieces...

Chef Jeena said...

What a great way to eat eats it looks delicious.

Pooja said...

Looks spicy and yummy pooja..Never added masala and milk to burji..Sounds new to me..Looking yummy dear..

Pooja said...

Thanks Ramya, Jeena and Pooja :)

Vrinda said...

I liked ur version of egg bhurji,looks spicy Pooja..

Saritha said...

Anda bhurji looks great pooja,thanx for commenting on my blog

Pooja said...

Thanks Varunavi :)

Uma said...

wow, that looks great. Nice dish. Looks delicious :)

Ashwini said...

wow burji looks yum and spicy..Different version.

Priyameena said...

My first visit to your blog...very interesting...Egg burgi is tempting me to eat..its one of my favorite..

Pooja said...

Thanks Uma, Ashwini and Priyameena :)

Renuka said...

This looks yummy..i like to have itwith rice and sambhar :)

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Your egg burji looks so tempting. Different version.

Pooja said...

Thanks Renuka and Valarmathi :)

Unknown said...

That is a vibrant picture! Looks lovely!I make this when I am out of vegetables.

Pooja said...

Thanks Divya :) I too think of this dish when I run out of vegetables..also when I'm tired of having veggies for lunch! :)

Deepa Hari said...

Thank you for stopping by Pooja....You have a beautiful blog...Egg burji looks yum and spicy....like ur version.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

its looking great pooja.. Nice colour.. Will try ur version

Pooja said...

Thanks Deepa and Pavithra :)

ARUNA said...

Hi Pooja, this looks soo rich!!!

mathew said...

Egg burji is a regular for me..though i have never added chicken masala to it..this looks tempting....will try it!!

Pooja said...

Thanks Mathew :)